Chicago—The holidays bring pomp, pageantry and a preponderance of pop-up stores, those popular temporary places of business that sell products tied to the season or feature distinctive gifts.
What holiday pop-ups will be favored by the populace in 2014? Here is a top 10 list provided by PopUp Republic, a social media marketing company (www.popuprepublic.com) that focuses exclusively on pop-ups and features an online directory of thousands of pop-ups occurring nationwide:
- The Holiday Shops at Bryant Park, New York, now to Jan. 3. Features more than 125 boutique-style shops situated on the park’s tree-lined pathways.
- Milk Handmade Pop-Up Shop, Block 37, downtown Chicago, now through December. Winner of the Block 37 2014 search for the next great pop-up, this women’s clothing boutique specializes in handcrafted goods from local and independent designers.
- Tin Lizzy Mobile Pop-Up Boutique, Silver Spring, Md., Dec. 20. This store on the go in a 1997 Grumman Step Van offers “ethical fashion” with its fair trade and sustainable women’s apparel, accessories and gifts when it sets up shop in the Washington, D.C. suburb.
- Downtown Holiday Pop-Up Market, Washington, 28-Dec. 23. A festive shopping “village” located in the heart of the city features some 150 regional artisans of ethnically produced goods located in the heart of the city.
- Sanibel & Captiva Luminary Festival, Sanibel Island and Captiva Island, Fla., Dec. 5-6. Merchants host holiday celebrations, display creative decorated storefronts and stage special events for the entire family.
- Discover Roxbury City Hall Pop-Up Shop, Boston, now through Dec. 22. An array of crafts and fine art is available in the halls of this city hall.
- Ugly Sweater Party at Penn Woods Winery, Chadds Ford, Pa., Dec. 5. This charity fundraiser located 30 miles west of Philadelphia features an ugly sweater contest, wine, finger foods and other holiday fun.
- Handmade Holidays-Christmas Pop-Up Shop in Overton Square, Memphis, Tenn., Nov. 28-Dec. 27. A month-long celebration of handcrafted gifting offers an extensive collection of one-of-a-kind jewelry, fashions, clothing, home décor, art and bath products.
- Pop-Up Shop Holidays Downtown, Colorado Springs, Colo., now through Dec. A host of stores will market wares representing local and community artists, attire that incorporates a socially conscious approach to street wear, new organic bath products and more.
- Holiday Pop-Up Shop at Museum of Design Atlanta, Atlanta, Dec. 11. Local fashion designers will display and sell their gorgeous creations in this elegant setting.
“Our top 10 list does not cover all of the thousands of pop-ups taking place across the country this time of year, but based on our experience, will offer unique shopping experiences,” said Jeremy Baras, CEO at PopUp Republic. “For people who cannot visit a pop-up this year, we offer many items through PopUps Across America (www.popupsacrossamerica.com), the first online shopping mall that features products offered by pop-up merchants.”