Entries are now open for the 2016 Independent Handbag Designer Awards sponsored by Handbag 101, a curated database of emerging and independent designers that has evolved from an industry resource into a thriving e-commerce site.
For this 10th edition of the competition, finalists’ designs will be offered for sale on the Handbag 101 site. Winners will be featured in the September issue of InStyle magazine, receive a year-long membership to the Accessories Council, and have the opportunity for collaborations with sponsoring companies including Pantone and Trina Turk.
Among the judges: Accessories editor-in-chief Lauren Parker, designer Kenneth Cole, and InStyle accessories director Megan Crum.
This year’s categories:
- The Lug Life Best Student-Made Handbag, open to any student at high school level or above
The Bernina Best Handmade Handbag, made with any material that is sewn by hand or sewing machine
- The Trina Turk Best Resort Style Handbag, for a bag in sync with the aesthetic of the Trina Turk brand
- The Best Adhesives Best Green Handbag, for a bag made from sustainable, recycled, or organic materials
- The All About the Logo by Guess Handbag, for a bag that demonstrate a playful and imaginative way of embracing the personality of the Guess brand and logo; the first round will be judged according to a sketch, with finalists given three weeks to execute the bag.
- The Mary Kay Carry with Confidence Bag, for a bag that leaves a woman feeling confident and ready for anything; the first round will be judged according to a sketch inspired by the cosmetics brand’s “Discover What You Love” campaign, with finalists given three weeks to execute the bag.
- The Most Socially Responsible Handbag, for bags made in a country where the proceeds are given back to the country of origin and/or by people employed to better their living conditions.
- The Evine Live Best Handbag in Overall Style and Execution, for the best design and realization.
- The InStyle.com Audience Fan Favorite, for the bag voted best by InStyle.com’s online audience.
- The Pantone Wild Color Card Bag, for the design that represents the best use of the Pantone palette.
Applications close April 23 and winners will be announced at the awards event on June 15 in New York City.