The program kicked off last night with the CFDA announcement that the design trio known as Timo Weiland would be the first label in the program, with a store opening for a three-month period beginning in July.
During the following 15 months, The Retail Lab will award five more designers a custom shop on the ground floor of Cadillac headquarters in Manhattan.
Cadillac will cover all costs related to the retail space—rent, display units, mannequins, signage, and point of sale system—and give each label a $75,000 grant towards wholesale buys, sales support, and marketing.
Applications for the five remaining spots close on May 6. To be eligible:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Be American or have established a primary design business in the United States
- Be in business for a minimum of 3 years
- Be a designer of demonstrable talent, i.e. have garnered substantial editorial coverage
- Have support (orders) from notable wholesale retailers
- Be able to demonstrate sales growth during their time in business
- Does not have current stand-alone retail location
- Be able to occupy the Retail Lab space for a maximum of 3 months, inclusive of producing and providing inventory for the store
- Open to womenswear, menswear, or accessory designers
- Open to both CFDA and non-CFDA members
For entries and more information, click here.