Okay, Prime Day was actually a Prime Day and a Half, but still…
The mega retailer’s mega shopping day for Prime members was so successful it’s servers actually crashed for a few hours (yes, there were dog photos as place holders). Yes, Prime Day still trounced any other shopping day to be the biggest shopping event in Amazon history, surpassing Cyber Monday, Black Friday and Prime Day 2017 when comparing 36-hour periods. The period sold more than 100 million products.
Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon far exceeded $1 billion in sales this Prime Day.
“Extending Prime Day to a day and a half this year allowed us to further reward members with unbeatable deals, access to exclusive new products and unforgettable experiences that highlight the many benefits of a Prime membership,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer, Amazon.
U.S. Highlights from Prime Day 2018
Fashion took a back seat as members focusing on electronics, food at Whole Foods and pens and pencils for back to school. The Toshiba 4K Ultra HD Fire TV Edition (50-inch) and theToshiba 4K Ultra HD Fire TV Edition (43-inch) sold over six times as many TVs compared to last year’s record-setting Fire TV Edition. Other highlights include:
- July 17 was the biggest sales day for smart home devices in Amazon history, with over a million devices sold.
- Ring had its biggest day ever on Amazon on July 16, with the Ring Video Doorbell Pro selling out.
- The Amazon Cloud Cam was the best-selling security camera deal in Amazon history.
- For the first time, U.S. Prime members celebrated Prime Day with a week of savings at Whole Foods Market. Members saved millions of dollars at Whole Foods Market with Prime Day deals, of which the best-selling deal was organic strawberries.
- Members purchased more than 300,000 Instant Pot 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi Use and 150,000 LifeStraw Personal Water Filters.
- Members stocked up for back-to-school and off-to-college season, purchasing millions of pencils and pens.
- Some of the top sellers from Amazon brands, by category, were Stone & Beam Ceramic Geometric Table L Presto! Ultra Soft Toilet Paper; Daily Ritual Women’s Jersey Short-Sleeve V-Neck T-Shirt Dress and AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet.
Spotlighting Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon far exceeded $1 billion in sales this Prime Day. Some feedback:
“Prime Day 2018 has exceeded our expectations – sales are up more than 400% over a typical day. We’re excited to leverage the momentum as we move into the second half of 2018,” said Caron Proschan, Simply Gum.
“Prime Day was the biggest single sales day of the year. We sold 10 times as many items as we sell on a regular day,” said Chris Guiher, Vintage Book Art Co.
“Prime Day has been our most successful day ever when launching new products. We released 10 new items, and all 10 are up more than 300% over our previous launches,” said Brandon Straub, Tegu.
“Prime Day has more than exceeded our best expectations. We’ve sold more Bakblade 2.0’s than ever and sales are up 10 times a regular day,” said Matt Dryfhout, Bakblade.