“Shop Indie This July!” Such is the message for Independent Retailer Month, which shows consumers the value of engaging and doing business with their local boutiques. Retailers can show their spirit and drive sales with in-store and online events, posters and postcards thanking consumers for their patronage.
Stumped for ways to participate in the month-long event? Visit the site’s Idea Bank for ideas, then make sure to promote the events before, during and after via social media.
- Download banners for your store to place in the window and/or at check out
- Give a bonus buck. Give customers a $1.00 coupon for every $10 they spend in your store in July. The coupon is redeemable in August
- Offer refreshments/happy hour. Cookies or cake that are the colors of your nation could promote the ‘independent’ touch. You could also contact an independent restaurant to provide the food
- Create campaign buttons for your staff to wear with the message: “Proud to be independent”
- Invite another independent retailer that targets the same kind of customer as you to build a display in your store
- Meet and greet with brand owners/representatives
- Host a launch event on the evening of June 30 to kick -off Independent Retailer Month
- Team up with a salon/spa and offer customers in-store pampering
- Offer goodie bags and/or limited edition products with certain purchases or to new customers
- Support local talent (designers, artists, dj’s etc.) by hosting a joint in-store activity
- Run a contest offering the chance for one lucky winner and friends to have a private shopping party
- Team up with neighboring independent retailers to host a shopping crawl
- Make sure to tag @indieretailusa in your tweets so the campaign can promote your business, events and activities and use the hashtag #indieretail to join the conversation. Share photos on the Independent Retailer Month Facebook page.
- Add #indieretail to your tweets to be apart of the conversation
- Have a contest for the most creative photo in which the customer is shown with your shopping bag
- Offer exclusive coupons on your website that are redeemable in store only
- “My favorite outfit” contest with customers submitting photos of how they wear clothing bought at your store and the winner is chosen by customers and receives a gift/coupon/discount
- Create your store as an Independent Retailer Month Check-in spot on FourSquare and every shopper who “checks in” your store gets a free item along with purchase or a discount – OR the __th person to “check in” gets _% off the whole store
- Use social media as a fun tool to ‘hot spot’ select products on select days during July exclusive to Independent Retailer Month
- Have an online check in passport system – whichever customer visits your store and checks in the most on Facebook during July wins a voucher to spend in your store in August
- ‘I love this indie retailer because…’ video blog contest – Get guests to visit your store during July and take a short video of their experience talking about customer service, purchases and why they visited you – upload it to YouTube; the most hits at the end of July wins!
- Invite your mayor to issue the Independent Retailer Month proclamation at your store
- Give an award for the customer that has done the most to volunteer in your community during the past year
- Take on a community project such as replanting the planters in the area where your store is located
- Volunteer to speak at the meeting of local civic clubs as a representative of Independent Retailer Month
- Volunteer to represent the local retail community by being interviewed by local media to promote Independent Retailer month
- Offer to make a donation of 10% of the purchase price for each customer that names a local charity
- Make a promotion page that lists all the independent retailers in your area. Hand this page to customers as they visit your store
- Place street banners throughout your local community that show your community is supporting Independent Retailer Month
- Make the local information office an indie hub during July where consumers can find out all the stores offering exclusive events