You’ll be smart to check out “Handbag Designer 101, Everything You Need to Know About Designing, Making and Marketing Handbags.”
Written by Emily Blumenthal—handbag designer and founder of the Independent Handbag Designer Awards as well as the blog HandbagDesigner101.com—the book is a useful how-to guide and a full-color exploration of what’s hot in handbags at the moment.
But don’t just take her advice. The book features invaluable tips and advice from some of the most successful designers in the industry.
Great Product Is Only Part of It
Underscoring the fact that there’s more to selling handbags than making pretty product, the book is neatly broken into two parts: The Bags and The Business.
- Handbag Silhouettes with Patterns
- Handbag Design Fundamentals
- How to Design Your Handbag and Get it Made
- Designing for Your Market: Guarantee Your Bags Will Sell
- Going into Production: Everything You Need to Know
- The Fundamentals of Starting Your Handbag Business
- Finding Yoru place in the Market
- How to Present and Sell Your Handbag Line
- Publicity 101
- Next Steps for Handbag and Business Development
While you can purchase the book at Amazon and bookstores, you can also win one for free by entering the Handbag Designer 101 “spotted” contest. Just submit a photo identifying the handbag worn, and you’ll be entered to win.