This 2016 holiday was the best-ever season for Amazon with devices including Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablet and Amazon Echo topping the best-sellers list. Customers purchased and gifted a record-setting number of devices from the Amazon Echo family with sales up over 9x compared to last year’s holiday season and millions of Alexa devices sold worldwide this year.
Fun fact: Among the most popular items for the two-hour delivery service that day were Oreo cookies.
Some other tidbits about what sold on Amazon this holiday season:
Accessories & Fashion Fun Facts:
- Amazon.com customers purchased 2.5 million watches – that is a watch purchased every 1.5 seconds this holiday season.
- Amazon.com customers purchased 10,451 carats of diamonds, which is equal to 6.5 Russian Kokoshnik Tiaras, one of the Queen of England’s most famous tiaras.
- Amazon.com customers purchased the weight of a grizzly bear in gold and the weight of a rhinoceros in silver.
- On Cyber Monday 2016, Handmade at Amazon saw a 200 percent increase in sales versus Cyber Monday 2015.
- Amazon.com delivered enough men’s jeans to fill one Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough ugly Christmas sweaters for every seat at all three NCAA College Football Playoff games.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough running shoes to run 18,603 times around the globe.
- More than one billion items shipped worldwide with Prime and Fulfillment by Amazon this holiday season.
- More people around the world tried Prime this holiday season than any previous year.
- The fastest Prime Now delivery on Christmas Eve took 13 minutes and was delivered at 9:05 p.m. to a Prime member in Redondo Beach, California. The order included a Tile Slim Item Finder and a Tile Mate Key Finder.
- December 23, 2016 was the biggest day ever for Prime Now deliveries worldwide and members ordered 3x more items compared to last year with one and two hour delivery worldwide. Echo Dot, Amazon Echo, Fire TV Stick and Oreo Cookies were some of the most popular items ordered that day in the U.S.
Holiday Fun Facts:
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Hamilton: the Revolution collectible books and Hamilton albums to give every patron at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City a copy for 96 consecutive shows.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough 4K TVs to reach the peak of Mount Everest more than 9 times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough KitchenAid Mixers this holiday to make nearly 7.5 million cookies at once.
- If each Amazon.com customer who purchased Pokémon Sun and Moon this holiday spent at least an hour a day playing the game since its release, our customers would have spent the equivalent of more than 24 thousand lunar cycles capturing Pokémon.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough copies of the Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection to play consecutively for more than 300 years.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Wilson footballs this holiday to give every fan at a sold-out Seahawks game a chance to throw a pass like Russell Wilson.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough golf balls this holiday that, if lined up, would equal the length of Pebble Beach golf course four times over.
- Amazon.com customers purchased more Marvin the Moose dog toys this holiday than the number of actual moose in New England.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough copies of The Secret Life of Pets that if each one were a tennis ball, they would fill Central Parkover two and a half feet deep.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- All Categories: Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablet, Amazon Echo
- Fashion: Levi’s Men’s 501 Original Fit Jean, Fossil Emma Large Zip RFID Wallet, kate spade new york Cedar Street Cami Convertible Cross-Body Bag
- Handmade: First Christmas in New Home Wood Ornament, Personalized Nameplate Gold Bar Necklace, World Travel Map Pin Board
- Luxury Beauty: stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme DryerBeauty & Grooming: Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush (White), Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 3100 with 5 attachments, Oral-B Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush Powered by Braun
- Books: Diary of a Wimpy Kid # 11: Double Down, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, First 100 Words
- Camera: Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera, AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag, GoPro HERO5
- More than 72 percent of Amazon customers worldwide shopped using a mobile device this holiday.
- Shopping on the free Amazon mobile app grew by 56 percent this holiday, worldwide.
- On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide purchased about 46 electronics per second on a mobile device.
- On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide purchased about 36 toys per second on a mobile device.
- December 19 was the peak worldwide shipping day this holiday season.
- In the U.S., more than 200,000 full-time and seasonal associates made the record-breaking shipping season possible.
- In the last two years, Amazon launched operations at over a dozen new facilities, many of which house robotic technology.
- Amazon fulfillment centers in San Marcos, Texas and Kent, Washington, as well as two Polish fulfillment centers, in Poznan and Wroclaw, shipped more than one million items in a single day.
- There are now 45,000 robotics units working alongside Amazon associates in more than 20 fulfillment centers.