Dodgeville, WI—Despite all the hoopla surrounding Black Friday, Grey Thursday, Cyber Monday and the like, yet another consumer survey found that a large portion of American consumers have yet to make a single holiday purchase.
In a survey conducted by SurveyMonkey on behalf of Lands’ End on Dec. 7 to 10, 30% of this season’s gift buyers said they have yet a purchase. Of those that have begun to tackle holiday shopping, almost eight out of ten (79%) still have gifts to purchase with over half (51%) stating they have up to five gifts left on the shopping list.
The survey also revealed that the upcoming Free Shipping Day, Monday, Dec. 17, will provide an added shopping incentive for 39% of shoppers.
With only two weeks before the holiday, the survey found last minute shoppers will be out in full force. Seven out of ten (73%) respondents state they will be shopping during the two weeks before Christmas with 10% confessing they will be shopping for holiday gifts on Christmas Eve.
While some shoppers may procrastinate, they do have gifts lists in place.
Topping last minute lists, shoppers will be shopping for Apparel and Accessories (58%), Gift Cards (56%), Electronics (46%), Food and Confections (38%), Jewelry (26%), Housewares (25%) and Pet Products (18%).
Other findings from the procrastinators’ survey:
- Better Late Than Never–Almost three-quarters of respondents (74%) state they did not shop earlier this year than prior years even though retailers offered early shopping incentives and promotions.
- Shopping Procrastinators–When asked why wait until the last minute to shop for gifts, 59% state they are “natural procrastinators.”
- Taking Time–More than seven out of ten (74%) surveyed state they take their time to search out the right gifts for recipients, while more than half (53%) state they do not have time to shop.
- Stressed and Excited–Last minute shoppers state they are “stressed” because there is so much left to do (42%), yet “excited” to find good deals and gifts (49%)
- Shopping and Joy–When it comes to holiday shopping, a quarter of respondents (26%) enjoy the last minute shopping experience.