New York fashion insiders are already abuzz with Fashion Week, now it’s the public’s turn.
The brainchild of Vogue Editor in Chief Anna Wintour, Fashion’s Night Out was created last year to give retailing a kick start, with shopping events, designer hobnobbing, star-stalking, giveaways and partying. The event was a huge success and this year’s promises to be even bigger.
Planning isn’t easy, as all events occur simultaneously and all over town (actually, Fashion’s Night Out occurs simultaneously around the world, from Brooklyn to Boston to Brazil!) but the Fashion’s Night Out website lets you sort events by Neighborhood, Categories, Accessory and even Specialty categories like a particular DJ or celebrity.
While we certainly can’t list all of the hundreds of parties going on, here are a few highlights:
- Visit Grand Central Station for the Accessories Council’s shopping event featuring accessories, apparel and beauty.
- Get photographed by Top Model judge and fashion photographer Nigel Barker at Lord & Taylor;Enter a karaoke contest at Barneys, judged by the Olsen twins.
- Hear Joss Stone sing at Nine West’s Fifth Avenue store to celebrate her new footwear collaboration
- Join Tim Gunn as he judges a window styling contest at Kate Spade on Broome Street in Soho (contestants will create windows inspired by Gunn’s new book).
- Check out the Piperlime pop-up store in Soho
- Have Victor Demarchelier take your portrait with his vintage Polaroid camera at Club Monaco’s Prince Street store in Soho and get styled by Vogue’s Jessica Sailer.
- Play ping pong with Stuart Weitzman at his Madison Avenue store.
- Enter the Wonderful Land of Oz at Furla’s Madison Avenue store to celebrate their Oz-inspired collection designed by Leitmotiv for Furla Talent Hub.
- See live stream video of Akkris Fall 2010 and Resort 2011 collections during the annual Crystal Charity Ball luncheon and fashion show at Neiman Marcus in Dallas.
- Join Justin Timberlake and Trace Ayala as they host a preview of their William Rast eyewear and footwear at Nordstrom, Santa Monica Place, California.
- San Franciscans can enjoy drinks, hors d’oeuvres, chocolate tastings and other nibbles while shopping retailers at the Westfield Centre on Market Street.
- Get a copy of More Than a Housewife by Vicki Gunvalson from Bravo TV’s “The Real Housewives of Orange County” who will be passing them out at Macy’s State Street in Chicago.
- Watch out for Steve Madden at Nordstrom and “Project Runway” alum Nick Verreos at Macy’s as they and 50 other retailers sponsor events at Miami’s Aventura Mall.
- Check out pieces from The Savannah College of Art and Design’s senior collection will on display at Neiman Marcus in Atlanta.
- Shop speicals all week in Seattle! Tonight kicks off Shopping Week Out, nine days of not-to-be-missed “shopportunities” throughout the greater Seattle area.