New York–Handbag Designer 101 and InStyle announced finalists for its Independent Handbag Designer Awards (IHDA) honoring excellence in design. Thirty-five finalists were selected from more than 900 submissions, up 35% from 2009. Winners will be announced June 16 at Parsons The New School for Design.
“The impressive 35 finalists share a common passion and commitment to innovative design, while being role models for entrepreneurship,” says Emily Blumenthal, founder of Handbag Designer 101 and the Independent Handbag Designer Awards.
The IHDA will honor Deborah Lloyd, co-president and creative director of kate spade new york, with the ICONOCLAST Award presented by Tim Gunn, chief creative officer of Liz Claiborne.
You can also vote for your favorite handbag design at InStyle.com/IHDA, now through June 7, and enter to win the Audience Fan Favorite bag.
Here are the finalists by category:
Best Handbag in Overall Style and Design:
- Lee Mattocks, USA, Lee Mattocks
- Emily Cheetham, UK, Cheet London
- Danielle DiFerdinando, USA, Elle Nicole
- Catherine Meyer, USA, FOLLIS
- Sevda Mutlu, Turkey, Sevda Mutlu
Best Handmade Handbag (Handmade, machine sewn, crocheted or knitted):
- Briana Smith, USA, B. THALLE
- Kazumi Lomri & Fusako Nakanishi, Japan, Chako
- Jenny Nguyen, USA, Jenny N. Design
- Kelly Horton, USA, Madison Kelly NYC
- Sarah Jane Williams, UK, Williams-British Handmade
Best Green Handbag (Made from sustainable, recycled or organic materials):
- Allison McGowan, USA, TEICH
- Arlene Nilsson, USA, Hemptress, Inc.
- Margaret Hanson, USA, Ecolibrio
- Andrew Krumholz, USA, Escama Studio
- Chance Jackson, USA, ç a r n c e by chance Jackson
Most Socially Responsible Handbag (Meet certain ethical and moral standards in regard to production, employment and philanthropy while impacting the local culture).
- Dalia Pascal, Mexico, Dalia Pascal
- Christiane Valdez, Brazil, La Chica Chic
- Ana Maria Plata, Colombia, Leonor
- Zoe and Cristina Suarez, Colombia, Monttalti
- Magdalena Höller, Austria, Trashdesign
Best Use of CRYSTALLIZED™ – Swarovski Elements Handbag
Use of Crystallized – Swarovski Elements in a sketch.
- Fabiola Pedrazzini, Italy, Fabiola Pedrazzini
- Clara Kasavina, USA, Clara Kasavina
- Calvin James, USA, Calvin James
- Kiki Ito, UK, Kiki London
- Aimee Kestenberg, Australia, Tammi Tales
Most Innovative Handbag, Inspired by mark (Representing the most innovative handbag inspired by the beauty of mark.*
- Mark Gibbons, UK, Mark Gibbons
- Lui Antinous, USA, Lui Antinous
- Michelle Vale, USA, Michelle Vale
- Lorna Nixon, UK, Lorna Nixon
- Renée Cascarina, USA, Renée Cascarina
Best Student-Made Handbag (Designed by students who started their lines while still in school):
- Frank Nathan, USA, Parsons The New School for Design
- Veronica Suarez, USA, EXEX Handbags by Veronica S., UCLA
- Meg Dewey, USA, Meg Dewey, Philadelphia University
- Sarah Jane Williams, UK, Williams-British Handmade, London College of Fashion
- Si Kim, South Korea, Morpholision, London College of Fashion
The Independent Handbag Designer Awards was created to celebrate handbag design and creativity from the United States and around the world. Founded by Handbag Designer 101, the handbag designer resource, the IHDA is now in its fourth year and an is now an industry staple. Currently, it is the only design competition to discover, recognize and create brand awareness for independent designers for handbags.